5.31.2007

Le Roi

The Breeders
Last Splash

The song where I learned French is prononced differently. Seriously it was this song and Patrick Roy that led me to learn that the pronuncuatiom is closer to "wha" than "roy".

I do love this song. I love its lazy pace and fuzzed out goodness. Since this is not a dissecting of each song that comes down the pike, I'll skip any mention of the lyrics. Especially since I don't know what they are and I'm not about to look them up. I wonder though, is the use of French a held over affectation from being around Frank Black while in Pixies?

For me, the best part of having this song come up, possibly a decade after I last pulled out the CD, is the shimmering vibrations in the middle of the track. It's a song that's never in a hurry to get anywhere, and it fulfills that promise. The second "verse" mimics the first, not unlike Herman's Hermits, and then it's over. King 'Enery may have had a third verse, but I'll take a laid-back Le Roi any chance I get.

No comments: