6.27.2007

Cut Up

Ned's Atomic Dustbin
God Fodder

Okay, by now I've noticed my tendency to use the word "revolution" to talk about somewhat mundane musical movements (with a certain amount of bandwagon jumping) that were important to me. So, you know what, Ned's was part of the seminal, early '90s 2-bass players revolution. Which included GvsB and, uh, anyone? (Dianogah is an answer) Fuck it, I still like it, so here goes.

Speaking of mundane, and listening to this track confirms it, Ned's Atomic Dustbin always seemed to have the song topic of "My life, let me show you it". I swear that at least one of their songs was about walking down the street or something. This one seems to be about a lover's tiff and all of the baggage that brings. Real out there, huh?

What's with all of the rhetorical questions today?

So, one bass player filled the traditional role of rhythm and low end, while the other played more melody and high end. This was necessary because the guitar, played by someone named Rat, sounded like a buzzsaw. And not a good buzzsaw, but one that seems to be engineered to keep you from noticing that good ol' Rat wasn't really the most inventive, or even competent, practitioner out there. The drums were still drums, nothing weird there.

Finally, I want to give a shout out to Ladd, whom I think was from Charleston. You really did look like the singer from Ned's. It's all in the chin. "But he's so ugly", you said. "Mmmmm", I believe was my answer.

No comments: