6.11.2007

It Would Be Cooler If You Did

Quicksand
Manic Compression

Haven't heard this album in over a decade I think. This album always seemed to be a poor copy of their initial release, Slip. The first thing I notice on this track is the way to high mix on the bass guit. The fact that the bass is doing nothing other than playing eighth notes doesn't help.

Ooh, two and a half minutes in, there's a change! Now we are so proto-emo, it's crazy. I had forgotten a lot about this song, but as soon as it came up on the MM, listed at 6 1/2 minutes, I knew I was in for a heart-felt treat. Or, at least as heart felt as you can get when Island is trying to get you to sell albums. Walter Schreifels (sp?) must have been reevaluating his post-Gorilla Biscuits/ post-hardcore days after recording this track.

Bonus! The song actually ends at 5 minutes, then we go into a radio unfriendly feedback session. Ooh, that sounds like a racecar! "Are we rolling?" You're damn right we are! Maybe this is where World's Fastest Car got its genesis. Given how bad Rival Schools was, it's probably good that band never released anything. Unless it was the same band, just renamed. Then I would feel like an idiot.

Well, the track's over now, and I hope not to hear it again for a very long time.

No comments: