6.14.2007

Kiss Me, Son of God

They Might Be Giants
Then-The Earlier Years

Another acronym friendly band! If I'm not mistaken, this is from their Dial-A-Song service, as this two disc set was littered with them. That, and the track is listed as [alternate version] from freedb, and no one ever screws that up.

Mmmmmm, the goodness of the accordion. Nothing says "serious band" like accordion. Between that and their voices, it's amazing this ever got out of the bedroom. I'll tell you the reason it did--storytelling. Each track, when the Johns are on their game, is a little, and most importantly, complete story. Oops, the song is over.

Not that this is of any consequence, but then neither is this blog, but I came to TMBG by way of MTV and the video for Istanbul (Not Constantinople). Therefore, Flood was the first album I was ever acquainted with. Which, in cosmic coincidence, is the poster on the bedroom wall of one of my guilty TV pleasures at the time-Clarissa Explains It All. Why I am not married to the former Clarissa Darling right now I cannot figure out. It was meant to be!

Back into pseudo-reality, I owned this two disc set almost since it came out, but I never really cared for it too much. Before, when I owned the two albums individually, I would listen to Lincoln regularly. Since, not so much. I think that the Dial-A-Songs were too much to wade through every time you popped a disc in. Let that be a lesson to all of you re-releasers who stock new versions with bonus tracks out the wazoo out there--I'll buy your new version, but dammit I won't listen to it very much. That'll show you, won't it? Whoops, gotta go, some alternate Pavement take just popped up from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain.

No comments: